We are an amateur, volunteer-driven theatre group dedicated to presenting the works of Gilbert and Sullivan to a West Michigan audience, as staged productions and beyond. WMS seeks to create a welcoming community that embraces all members with warmth, respect, and dignity.
- We are dedicated to bringing the works of Gilbert and Sullivan to a West Michigan audience, as staged productions and beyond. We believe that the heart of Gilbert and Sullivan was good-natured fun combined with a barbed wit aimed at pointless tradition and institutions of power.
- WMS realizes that works from the late 1800’s do not match up with how the world is today. We will be mindful of historical context while ceasing the perpetuation of harmful stereotypes. Shows will be changed to avoid terms, costumes, or anything else that is deemed to cause harm.
- Though we shall remain an amateur theater group, we are dedicated to providing high quality operettas and content that can be counted on year after year.
- We are a community theatre group based in West Michigan. We take our place in the community seriously and with pride. This includes being a good neighbor to other theater groups and the larger community as a whole.
- WMS seeks to create a welcoming community that embraces all members with warmth, respect, and dignity. We stand up for the rights of our community members, regardless of race, sexual identity, gender identity, creed, age, or physical ability.
- In order to continue to bring the works of Gilbert and Sullivan to our community, we will work to preserve the future of the organization in all decisions. This means working toward quality shows that are profitable, and using funds frugally. We are committed to adapting as needed to serve our community.
Dedicated Volunteers Perform Lasting, Wholesome Comic Operas
Named for the famous Savoy Theater in London, we are dedicated to bringing the joy of discovery and performance of the works of William S. Gilbert and Sir Arthur Sullivan to new audiences in West Michigan. The relevance of the parody, comic satire, and social commentary of these shows has stood the test of time. We thoroughly enjoy the wit, humor, and music and have a wonderful time bringing these shows to you.
Since 1999 the Savoyards have performed a show each year. We work January through April, learning music and stage movements, building sets, costuming the actors, rehearsing an orchestra, and bringing forth a funny and wholesome artistic product from capable volunteers.
Education, Outreach, and Community Service
Besides bringing the delightful works of Gilbert and Sullivan to the people of West Michigan, the Savoyards offer a theater experience to people who might not otherwise have one, because of the physical limitations or economic hardship. We offer a number of free and/or discounted tickets to both seniors and students. We are now planning to establish a scholarship program for high school Juniors and Seniors.
We offer West Michigan residents from the age of 8 to 80 the opportunity to perform in Gilbert and Sullivan comic operas or work in stage production. The next nearest G&S companies are in Ann Arbor and Chicago. We are a true grass roots community group. We hope you will join us.
Board of Directors
Leah Brand Hein
West Michigan Savoyards, Ltd
14307 Aspen Vale Dr.
Holland, MI 49424
Phone: (616) 546-5473